Sunday 5 April 2015

Colette Ceylon muslin #2






Hello people! I've had the best Easter break ever!
Ten uninterupted days of sewing bliss. No rushing, just pure enjoyment. Aaahhh....!

And here is the result; my second version of the Colette Ceylon!
Early on I kind of loved it, and decided to treat it like a final version. I wanted to check out how it would behave with buttons, so I fitted it with all 16 self covered buttons. The insides were all finished with Berthas overlock stitch, and look super neat.






The fabric is actually a good quality cotton seersucker duvet cover in a super pistachio green. I got it many years ago from my mothers auntie Mary, and I never took it out of it's packaging 'cause it was too short for my duvets. It feels nice to make use of it, especially since it turned out so great. I am sure auntie Mary would approve, God rest her soul.







I made just a few alterations from the first version. The sleeves were widened just a bit, and I finished them with bias binding. I took some of the curve out of the midriff piece, cause let's face it; I am not that curvy. I also added one and a half inch to the overall width of the dress, to fix the riding up issue. I can see from some of the pictures that it still looks like it wants to migrate upwards in the back. I might try shorten the midriff a little on the final dress.
I decided to do nothing to the armscye, and I think the fit is good as is.












I really like all the small gather details on the bodice front and back, it makes a great shape and adds interest to a plain colored dress. I am still making another one in printed fabric for the Spring for Cotton sewalong, and I am excited to see it in some print.











I also decided to start signing my me-mades, so I embroidered a little S inside the neck facing. Just a little finishing touch, and something to identify my dresses when I am old and grey :)





So did you have a great Easter? Did you make something fabulous?




12 comments:

  1. I love the finished dress, it's super flattering on you. I'd love to be able to devote a whole 10 days to sewing, I'm super jealous. In a good way.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It is not often I have this much time to just sew, it has been very productive. Fun is over now though...

      Delete
  2. It looks wonderful, that green color suits you really well! I've had this pattern for quite some time too, and you're making want to sew it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Renée! Oh, you should totally sew this one up, your makes are always so gorgeous!

      Delete
  3. Woo this is looking really good! LOVE that colour - its fab! And your shoes are great too :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      The shoes are thrifted, and I got them for 2£ ! Super uncomfortable, but sassy :D

      Delete
  4. This is fabulous! You can see the amount of time you have devoted to this dress with its fabulous finish. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! There really is a difference when you have unlimited time on your hands. I am quite guilty of rushing things, wanting to make the most of my sewing time. But I might be a convert now that I see the result of slowing down a notch :)

      Delete
  5. Wow! Den ble fantastisk fin! Jeg er imponert over hvor godt du har fått den til å sitte. Jeg har ikke kommet i gang med å sy i påsken, men jeg har en plan..... Også har jeg kost meg med strikkinga da.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks awesome on you! Love the colour, with the self stripe through especially.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! The color is great and the dress has that lovely vintage vibe. so many covered buttons! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been considering purchasing this pattern and now I must! You did a great job! You look great!

    ReplyDelete